Sunday 9 September 2012

Teacher-Librarian's Role

This first week, after reading Student's Information Information Literacy Needs in the 21st Century: Competencies for Teacher Librarians, it became apparent to me, as someone who is not yet a teacher-librarian, the importance in having a clear understanding of our role as teacher-librarian as this helps shape our organization of the library.  Looking at 1.8 on digital access, I realized as there is limited access to computers in our school library, my role as teacher-librarian, in the short term, would be to provide access to the library outside the four walls, starting with a library webpage and building from there.

I also particularly enjoyed the bio about Melvil Dewey.  I found it quite interesting and beneficial having this background information when introducing the Dewey Decimal system to students.  I must admit though I find it a little overwhelming learning and teaching about the Dewey system and look forward to acquiring more knowledge about the system in Lesson 8.  
I do wonder how to maintain a balance between keeping the library organized and running an effective program.   Networking with others and taking the time to reflect on the decisions I make come to mind as being important considerations.  I do feel fortunate to be teaching in Surrey where there seems to be the support needed for someone like myself who will hopefully be starting out as a teacher-librarian in the future.  

"As the biggest library, if it is in disorder is not as useful as a small but well-arranged one, so you may accumulate a vast amount of knowledge but it will be of far less value to you than a much smaller amount if you have not thought it over for yourself."
-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860), German philosopher

1 comment:

  1. I find it difficult to strike a balance, too. Our District Librarian said that it was very important for us to be there for the students and that if everything wasn't organized just perfectly it would be OK. I guess though that it's important to have good systems in place so that they can run on their own. I hope to get some good ideas from this course!

    ReplyDelete